Sunday, January 3, 2010

January 3...and it's even colder!



I'm ready to not leave my house until Spring. I hate heat, but I hate cold just as much. We did leave today, though. My mom was making a chicken and wild rice casserole for lunch, and I just can't pass it up. A family friend made it right after Maile was born and we've all loved it since then!

I had to run to Target for diapers while there...yuck. I've used cloth for 3 years now, and I miss it a lot. I hate the expense of disposable diapers, I hate that Maile's clothes don't fit her in disposables, and I hate that they're all going to the landfill. We moved into this house in February 2009, and I fought so hard to keep my diapers clean, but we have the world's hardest water in this house, and it was just impossible. I gave up recently. We're hoping to buy our first house in the next couple of months, and I'm ready to start using cloth again.

Anyway, after that, we headed to Jonathan's parents house for supper. Normally his mom would cook for us, but we thought we'd cook and make the eggplant parmesan (parmigiana?) I mentioned yesterday. I've made eggplant parm before, and it's always hit and miss how it turns out. We saw this variation on Throwdown with Bobby Flay and had to try it.

It was a lengthy process--peeling the eggplant, slicing it super-thin, dip in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, then deep-fry, then layer like a lasagna in a baking dish. Not the healthiest meal, but oh, it was worth it. It was the best eggplant parm I've ever had. Even his dad ate it, and he's rather picky.

The kids are spending the night there tonight, besides Maile. I haven't let her spend the night away yet. It's not much of a break since Ethan and Bella aren't hard to deal with right now, but I know they all enjoy it.

So, there it is. Not an exciting day by any means. It was rather boring, actually. Jonathan and I really enjoyed being able to cook without worrying about the kids or having Maile at our feet the whole time. That was definitely the highlight of today.

I'm about to get Maile in bed, then it will be time for Desperate Housewives followed by some Food Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment