Saturday, January 2, 2010

Wow, it's cold!


We woke up this morning to a temperature of 14F. Yikes! I had things I wanted to do today, but really didn't feel like getting in and out of the car with the kids. I had made bread in my bread machine last night, and it tasted awful by itself, so we decided to give the kids a treat and make french toast for breakfast. We don't allow sugary foods very often, and breakfast is usually very healthy, but I couldn't resist having it this morning.


Add Image
In the past, our french toast has always been like scrambled eggs on toast (not so good), but it was rather good today. I ran out of maple syrup recently, so I found a recipe for pancake syrup with ingredients I had on hand, and it was so yummy. Everything was very homemade, even the brown sugar in the syrup (ran out of that recently, too, but you can make it by adding 2 tbsp molasses to each cup of white sugar). We had leftover heavy cream from dinner last night (Johnny Carino's bowtie festival), so we even had whipped cream on top.



After breakfast, we spent the morning organizing closets (for the second time this week). I put a lot of clothes outside in our storage closet to go through sometime soon to divide between goodwill, giving away to family or friends, or keeping for Maile.

Then Maile went down for a nap (fell asleep in her crib very easily for nap, and also went right to sleep last night in it. She thought it was awesome. I brought her in bed at 2:30 for her bottle, and she fell back asleep until 8 with me). I made marinara sauce for the eggplant parmesan we'll be making tomorrow with Jonathan's parents (his mom sounds excited about it, and his dad even agreed to try it!)

Tonight we'll be going to my parent's house for supper. My dad wanted to make pizza with the kids. I think after tomorrow I will have had enough italian to last for a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment